John Lyon’s Charity provides an additional strand to the Capacity Building Fund by providing communications support delivered by Goodwork to its groups across the Beneficial Area. The Charity will provide funding to help charitable organisations learn and grow from a PR and Communications perspective as well as offer media and messaging training. If you need help with writing, interviewing, shooting, editing, pitching your stories to the media, as well as training in how to communicate with the media in promotional, or crisis situations, then this Fund can offer you support.
What we will Fund
- Story Telling
Do you have stories you would like to tell but are unsure how to tell the story, let alone share it?
If yes, you will benefit from Goodwork's session that helps your organisation to tell its story. This includes:
- Interviewing, writing and producing your stories
- Content will be produced to sit across your website/social media/other media of your choice
TIMING - will depend on volume of content, but 90 minute online sessions will cover how to do strong, impactful interviews, write clearly and powerfully and how to re-version the content you create for your various outlets and platforms.
- Bespoke Media Outreach & Press Release Creation
Do you lack the PR skills to promote important topics or news stories about your organisation?
If yes, you will benefit from Goodwork’s Bespoke Media Outreach & Press Release package. This includes:
- Writing and distributing customised press releases on demand
- Giving guidance on how to reach out to the media
- Make and build contacts specific to your Charitable Organisation
- Pitch stories across a variety of national and regional networks
TIMING - Goodwork can turn this offering round fairly quickly. They are flexible around writing and distributing press releases, depending on content and volume.
- Bespoke Advice
Do you want to do more PR and Comms outreach but don’t know where to start?
If yes, you will benefit from Goodwork’s Bespoke Advice Sessions. This includes:
- Online advice sessions on how to pitch causes and stories to relevant media outlets
- Feedback on initial story narrative
- Guidance on general media “outreach”
TIMING - Guidance on Media Outreach, Contacts and Pitching - 90 minute session.
- Media Training
Could you handle the pressure of media spotlight whilst getting across your Organisation’s message clearly and concisely?
If no, you will benefit from Goodwork’s Media Training. This includes:
- Online courses on how to speak to the media (two trainers) for up to four participants
- Interview training across TV, Radio & Online
- Webinars including Q and A Session for up to 30 participants
- Online Media Training - four hours.
- Webinars - 60 mins or 90 mins (With Q and A)
- Crisis Comms Session
If your Organisation is facing a crisis, do you feel worried you don’t have the resources to respond the correct way both internally and externally?
If yes, you will benefit from Goodwork’s Crisis Comms Session. This includes:
- Online courses in Crisis Communications (two trainers) for up to four participants
- Webinars in Crisis Communications, including Q and A Session for up to 30 participants
- Courses & exercises - four hours.
- Webinars - 60 mins or 90 mins (including Q&A)
- Organisational Messaging Training
Are you in need of a training programme that specifically focuses on key messaging to reach your priority audience?
If yes, you will benefit from Goodwork’s Organisational Messaging Training. This includes:
- Online sessions in devising, delivering and placing organisational key messaging for up to four participants
- The option of a four-hour session, which includes creating organisational messages and identification of delivery platforms
- The option a two-hour session, which creates overarching and core organisational messages ready for use
TIMING - A two-hour or four-hour session available
How to apply
Organisations must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current or former grantee holder with John Lyon's Charity
- Received funding in the last three years
- Have an income of under £1million
Please note schools are not eligible for this grant.
- How much can you apply for?
- The requested budget will depend on the chosen options listed above. Organisations can apply once per JLC financial year.
- How to apply
- A short application form is available on the Grants Portal
- Applications are considered on a rolling basis and can take six to eight weeks for a decision.
- If the grant is approved, confirmation of the training date will be required before payment is made.